About the Symposium 2012
Towards a green economy: the role of technology
May 21 - 23, 2012
Industrial policy and transformation, technology advancement and innovation, cooperation between industry and governments are focal areas of the Ny-Ålesund Symposium 2012 on the role of technology and the way towards greening of the economy.
Internationally recognised research and impact reports have documented that the potential global rise in temperature this century could be considerable. The detrimental effects of climate change on human societies and nature are well documented by the International Panel on Climate Change and research institutions worldwide.
To meet these challenges, policy development and incentives aimed at facilitating green growth and greening of the industry are imperative. Any successful climate action must build on cooperation between the business community, national governments, research institutions and international organisations. Entrepreneurs and investors need to be enlisted in effective partnerships towards innovations and commercialisation of solutions.
Discussions at Ny-Ålesund will have government interaction with public and private actors on major achievements in climate technology as their starting point, and will include:
- Industrial transformation; the way forward through innovation and research-based technology development and transformation of industrial production;
- The growth model of tomorrow; engendering green growth by decoupling economic growth from increased fossil fuel consumption;
- Technology dissemination; technology implementation and trade policy facilitation of green-tech and promotion of global climate priorities.
The host of the Ny-Ålesund Symposium 2012 is Mr. Trond Giske, Minister of Trade and Industry.
Our aim is to:
- Create an arena in a unique environment to strengthen the dialogue between government, science and the private sector on environmental issues.
- Build networks, give priority to the solutions and disseminate knowledge of the northern areas of global significance.
The Symposium language is English.
Several high level scientists, bureaucrats and people from the industry are working on this year's programme.
A part from the members of the Steering Committee, we have formed an Advisory Committee.
The members of the committee are:
|Anders Wijkman||Former member of the European Parliament, Sweden|
|Jørgen Randers||Professor BI, Norwegian School of Managment, Norway|
|Katherine Richardson||Professor in Biological Oceanography at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark|
|Osvald Bjelland||Chairman Xyntéo Ltd, Norway|
|Robert Corell||American Global Scientist|
- About the symposium 2014
- Selected prictures from the symposium 2014
- Links to media coverage
- List of Participants 2014
- Program 2014 with links to the presentations
- About the symposium 2013
- Media coverage 2013
- Some pictures from 2013
- Program with links to the presentations
- About the Symposium 2012
- Links to reports, books and more
- Links to articles in the press
- Confirmed speakers and delegates
- Program, presentations and Chair's Summary
- Practical Information
- Links to media and press report from the Symposium
- Speaker presentations
- List of participants
- About the Symposium 2010